Thursday, July 18, 2013

New Faucet and Bar Backsplash

So I should be spending the day cleaning since our house looks like a war zone right now and Brian's parents are coming in town tonight (so excited!) but somehow I have hurt my foot/ankle and can barely stand. And trust me...vacuuming while crawling is not an easy task. Neither is trying to move and carry anything. I am pretty helpless and have no idea how or what I could have done. Luckily, Brian is going to take some time to help get things cleaned up and move everything from our kitchen out from the guestroom (which we have been using as our pantry/storage area during our remodel) to our new kitchen!

Once we get things cleaned up and put back together, I will update with more pictures and do some before and after shots. But, since I'm icing my foot/ankle I thought I would be a little productive and share some of our new additions.

First...we added a backsplash to our bar!

Starting to look finished! 

Here's another shot...having a hard time not getting into the shot
We had all of these little mirrors left over that we had bought to use as wedding decorations a couple of years ago, so we decided to reuse them as the backsplash in the bar. It was super easy because the pack of mirrors came with silicone stickers that we just stuck to the drywall...and it took about 5 minutes to put up. We will be adding some trim pieces to finish it off, but I love how it came out and it was free and easy! We also had to add new pieces of drywall to the sides of the bar because the original drywall didn't meet the new granite. That wasn't fun, but Brian is a pro at piecing in drywall now so it didn't take too long.

We also got a new faucet that I am so excited about...big kudos to Brian because he picked the design (with some guidance of course). We had a plumber come in to install and hook everything back up and while he was installing found that our disposal had a leak, so we had to get a new one. Which wasn't expected, but we don't mind too much because our old one took a bit of a beating during the remodel. Now we are leak free and have a cool new faucet!

It's huge...and I love it! 

With our new undermount sink and the faucet we can actually wash pots and pans without making a huge mess!

We also added in the kitchen drawers with the new pulls. This should have been one of the easiest parts, but turned out to be a big headache. Let's just say we used a lot of wood putty, took several late night trips to the hardware store for new screws/drill bits (it took 3 times to finally get them right) and almost rethought the new pulls, but now that they are done, I love them and I think it was well worth the struggle. Take a look:

New pulls on the drawers...oh and our stove is back!
 We also finished putting up the trim on the island and are finishing up the paint and caulk. I am really happy with our design, and can't wait to really be able to use it. Here are a few pics of how it looks right now:
Crooked picture, but the trim looks good!
 

A view of our custom built bookshelf

Don't mind the mess on the island, we are still working :) Oh, and then we bought and hung a mirror for the wall in between the sun room and the kitchen. We had another idea in mind for this before, but last minute change of plans.

New mirror
Then my awesome, super talented and handy husband mounted our TV over the fireplace and then to hide some of the cords, I made a little planter box to finish it off. Check it out (and yes, those are the Cousins on Rachel Ray - I love them!)

Not too shabby :) 

We will update more once we start cleaning, but for now my brother is coming over to bring me an ankle brace (he is the best) so I can get back to work.

XOXO,

Sara, Brian & Tequila

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job transforming your kitchen, Sara! And you did it just a few days before your expected visitors’ arrival. That’s really amazing! I bet they were also impressed by it. Thanks for sharing!

    Evon Brow @ Athens Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Brian knows what will suit your taste, huh? That faucet looks really cool! It has a modern design that can suit to any kitchen. Anyway, I hope you didn’t have any problems aside from the leaks. Thanks for sharing!

    Gardon Patton @ Bison Plumbing

    ReplyDelete